02 July, 2009

Best Boss, Best Thursday Nights

A pleasant night was had by all. I worked until 8p.m. tonight and I truly have the best boss in the world. She surprised me with an absolutely delightful book that teaches one how to knit some beautiful trimmed edges and designs. It was the most unexpected amazing gift!! It includes a selection of 150 exquisite lacy edgings, beaded braids, fringes, frills and motifs, and best of all, the instructions on how to knit them yourself.

Gobsmacked! (Does anyone still use this word?) Immediately, a whole new wave of potential designs and future projects exploded in my mind and I was wriggling with excitement at the thought of adding some extra knitted pizazz to beanies, bags, gloves, scarves, clothes, cushions, hats, ra ra ra.

So that was that. After work I popped into my boyfriend's house which he shares with 3 other people. Dave made cous cous with vegetables, a meat pie for the boys and a spinach/red onion/pumpkin/cheese/mushroom pizza for me, and chocolate-filled strawberries. we affectionately referred to the strawbs as 'reverse fondues' on account of the chocolate being on the inside and the strawbs being chilled. It was like Dave supernaturally reversed time and space! :-)

Basically, every Thursday night something magical happens. One housemate cooks a three course meal for everyone else in the house (myself included) and every one takes turns each week. Last week, my dinner theme was 'Multiculture' and I made mushrooms in brioche, sweet & sour tofu noodles, and croissants with apple and cream. What a spread; we had to adjust our palates for each dish! It's become more and more elaborate each week and we've all concurred that Thursday night is all our favourite night of the week.

I think it's wonderful and wholesome to sit down and enjoy a home cooked meal with loved ones where we're all together at the same time for catch ups. And farrr more wholesome than just going out and getting drunk. I implore you all to give this a try, and I hope it becomes a tradition in your home too. I might be biased, but there's nothing else like cooking to bring people together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, be gentle, be wise.