08 July, 2009

Fruit of My Labour






Having woken up at midday and slaved away for a total of pretty much 10 hours, I have a funny feeling I deserve the soup mug sized serving of chai latte bubbling on the stove as we speak. I have an existing problem with my posture and I get minor back pains every now and then which is further aggravated by standing up for hours on end as a sales assistant. Tonight, my back aches like it was born to do only that.

I complained to my beloved boyfriend about it and he suggested I do some stretches and take a 5 minute break from knitting.

What blasphemy.

So what did I do? I kept knitting I did, but standing up. And the pain subsided! Ha! Anyway, enough about me gasbagging away about my creaky achy 21 year old bones! I want to tell you about what I made today!

-5 mug jackets
-2 pairs of earrings
-10 rings
-1 cupcake beanie
-and I want to get into making dreamcatchers too!

The mug jackets were really easy breezy to make and (my favourite) some buttons for embellishment/functionality do the trick. These cute woolly babies will protect your hands from the hot hot beverage while helping to trap the heat of the beverage in the mug. Sooo handy for a lazy Winter morning or relaxing evening watching Friends DVDs on the couch with the cats.

As for the earrings, they were a test to see how the image in my mind would look if it were real. And it's not too bad, a little improvement here and there but the foundation idea is there. It's basically a hoop earring with a bunch of fun little buttons threaded on.. I like buttons! Might give a pair a test drive at my work and see if I get any feedback.. I work in the Penrith Valley region at a store called Socrates which sells toys, books, boardgames, science kits, craft and construction kits, and other happy fun-time stuff so I'm bound to meet a crafty person or two.

I will have to post a photograph of the rings when I've made a few more. They're made up of little perspex ovals on an adjustable ring and the little picture in them is basically whatever catches my (shortsighted!) eye in a magazine or poster. Another piece that will remain as truly unique as your imagination and doesn't have that ubiquitous Made In China sticker on it somewhere.

Tomorrow is going to be another big day of sweatshopping, but I think I'll aim to put the final touches on everything as I have work on Thursday, Friday (and a girls night out at Max Brenner!), and Saturday, and the market is on Sunday morning o0o0o0oh! I'll be praying till my veins pop that it doesn't rain on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, be gentle, be wise.