02 July, 2009

Sweatshopping





Ohh the past few days and nights have just been a blur of yarn needles, vintage fabric, buttons, knitting needles, measuring tape, chalk, crochet hooks, and lots and lots of yarn. And lost sleep.

But..

It has all been a labour of love. Lots of love, but mostly labour. But lots of love!! I'm whipping up a few things to sell at my local flea market. It's all going to be handmade by myself and I'm hoping to get a good response from the market-goers. With this Winter being a warm one and with Spring fast approaching already (!) I've decided to knit and crochet some transeasonal pieces (berets using thinner ply yarn; handwarmers) which can be worn during the colder seasons right into the sunny mornings of Springtime.

In addition, I'll be making some season-indeterminate pieces like knitted cupcakes and ice creams (both stuffed with good squishy hobby fill), owls and babushka dolls, pouches, brooches (which are featured in the above photograph), bookmarks, pendants, coasters, rings, and whathaveyou! I'm going to be a very busy lady here in my sweatshop (bedroom), but I've found that when it comes to my craft, time flies. At lightning speed. On steroids. Being shot out of a gun. Because firstly, there's so much to do in so little time--my uni holidays will be over in 4 weeks. Secondly, and most importantly, I fall into my own world absolutely void of all sense of time and passing as soon as I reach for my crochet hook or kneedles (knitting needles) which is usually quite early in the morning. When I lift my head up to take a break, I realise I've missed breakfast (and elevenses and lunch!), I've become short-sighted, the dishes haven't been washed, my rabbit hasn't been fed, and I've got some sweet RSI in my wrists :-)

The brooches are made from whatever fun yarns I had in my basket. I crocheted circles in various sizes then layered them with printed fabric (reclaimed quilts, shirts and dresses from op shops) and sewed a cute button on top to hold it all together. With a brooch pin sewn into the backs of them, they'd look super cute and super crafty on any handbag, jacket, t-shirt, headband or scarf. Some of the brooches are inspired by food, themes, or artwork. The brown and pink one is Strawberry & Chocolate Ice Cream, and the green one with the yellow button and bow is Little House on the Prairie! The brown one with the floral print, white circle and orange button makes me think of cakes or cream tarts. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, be gentle, be wise.