29 July, 2009

New Life Tie Bags





There's nothing like breathing a little life into some things and given them a new purpose. Last weekend, Sandra's grandmother was so kind to lend me her old and charming Singer sewing machine; I had not used a sewing machine since I was in my first year of high school (well over 9 years ago!) so I had to Google how to thread a machine and wind a bobbin.

But I learned quickly and can now thread machines and wind bobbins with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back. Not really. Anyway, even though uni has started for me this week and I can feel it's going to be a semester of essay after essay after goshforsaken essay, I still manage to find some time to indulge my creative spirit. The same creative spirit that was responsible for my skipped meals, lost sleep, RSI, inability to keep still, and possibly my failing my subjects because I'm so excited about new craft projects.

My first baby fathered by the sewing machine was a tie bag: a bag sewn together completely out of men's neckties. Jhun and I went scouting for some worthy neckties and laughed at the really really horribly patterned ones..and bought them. And they don't look half bad as part of a bag!
I undid the centre seams with the new seam ripper I invested in, split the tie open, took out the fabric inlay, and sewed away. I kept the entire length of the ties (I used 4 of them in this particular bag) so that the two outermost narrow parts of the tie can be tied together to make a strap, and the two narrow lengths in the middle can be tied together as a decorative bow and to keep all the stuff inside the bag. Pretty neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, be gentle, be wise.